Thursday, April 26, 2012

Books Books and Books

The other day a coupon came in the mail for a local thrift shop, buy one get one free on Wednesday only, up to $10. Sweet! So sis and I went again to check it out...along with about half the city. We stood in line to check out for about a half an hour. Half hour standing in line makes me think about what I got, and I put several books back. Even some Little Golden Books, ack! What was I thinking?!  Well, anyway, I got some good stuff.
 First, "How I Became a Pirate" by Melinda Long, illustrated by David Shannon. I love pirate picture books! Next is a nice hardcover book of "Raggedy Ann Stories" by Johnny Gruelle. This copy is from 1993 and in perfect shape. Next is Book Two of Percy Jackson & The Olympians, "The Sea of Monsters" by Rick Riordan. A very nice paperback Scholastic edition.
 Now for the Little Golden Books I did buy: "Disney's Pocahontas The Voice of the Wind" by Justine Korman, illustrated by Peter Emslie and Don Williams. "Walt Disney's Peter Pan" from the motion picture "Peter Pan," based on the story by Sir James M. Barrie, illustrations by Walt Disney Studio, pictures adapted by John Hench and Al Dempster. "Walt Disney's The Jungle Book 40th Anniversary Edition." I love these classic books.
Next is "Walt Disney's Donald Duck's Toy Sailboat" told by Annie North Bedford, pictures by The Walt Disney Studio, adapted by Samuel Armstrong, from the motion picture "Chips Ahoy." Anyone remember this movie? I don't! An internet search tells me the movie was made in 1956, which was well before my time. Cute book tho!

Next is"Oscar's Book" by Jeffrey Moss, pictures by Michael Gross. This book is along the same lines as the "Monster at the End of this Book," in that Oscar doesn't want you to read the book. The whole time he is trying to get the reader to close the book, and then at the end, he laments that if the reader does close the book, he won't have anyone to yell at, and begs the reader to keep the book open. It's a cute book, I'd never heard of it before!

At the opposite end of the Sesame Street spectrum of books is "Grover's Guide to Good Manners" by Constance Allen, illustrated by David Prebenna. I love Grover's language and this is a cute book to read.
The next Little Golden Book is "Thomas and the Big, Big Bridge" illustrated by tom LaPadula and Paul Lopez. Did you know that Thomas the Train was based on "The Railway Series" by The Reverend W Awdry? You learn something new every day.

Next is another Raggedy Ann story, "Raggedy Ann and Andy Help Santa Claus" by Polly Curren, illustrated by June Goldsborough. This little book is from 1977, and is in good shape.

Lastly, "AnnaBelle's Wish," adapted by Susan Korman from the animated film "Annabelle's Wish," illustrated by Alan Nowell & Associates, based on a short story by Dan Henderson. I had never heard of this little book or story either. The movie is from 1997, was narrated by Randy Travis, and features Jerry Van Dyke, Jim Varney, Rue McClanahan, and Cloris Leachman. The book is published in the same year.
The last book I got (this was my free one with the coupon) was "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden. I've been wanting to read this book, and was glad to find this nice paperback copy.
Lastly, we had to buy some trucks and cars for the baby! He loves them! The little clear car on the left lights up when you shake it or hit it or drop it. Cute!

Linking up with The Penny Worthy Project, Thrift Score ThursdaysHigh on Thrifting Thursdays, and Thrifty Treasures.


Enjoy your day and your latest book!

No comments:

Post a Comment